You’ve all heard it before—mold can cause health problems.  Be aware if you, a family member, or a co-worker have any symptoms and take the right steps. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to mold can lead to a variety of illnesses. For some people, the reactions can be intense.

Mold produces allergens, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins), Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.

Allergic responses to mold are common. They include: 

  • Hay fever-type symptoms 
  • Sneezing
  • Running or blocked nose
  • Watery red eyes
  • Skin rash 
  • Wheezing / shortness of breath
  • Coughing
  • Long-standing or frequent sinusitis

These reactions can be immediate or delayed. They can cause asthma attacks in some people. 

Mold exposure can also irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic types are not commonly reported because of inhaling mold.  Mold is known to cause asthma and life-threatening primary and secondary infections in immune-compromised patients that have been exposed.  Toxic mold exposure also has been linked to more serious, long-term effects like memory loss, insomnia, anxiety, depression, trouble concentrating, and confusion. 

Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. For more detailed information, consult your health professional.

If you feel there is mold in your home or office, call the experts at Superior Healthy Indoor Air for a free consultation. 

Listen to Our Latest Interview

by WIBC-FM | Jon McClain Talks About Mold